Caribbean Weather

Monday, June 28, 2021

Bahamians fall short of earning pro cards

Team Bahamas didn’t manage to secure any of the pro cards available at the IFBB (International Federation of Bodybuilding and Fitness) Pro League World Caribbean Championships at the Grand Hyatt at Baha Mar over the weekend, but there were some impressive results and the athletes are motivated for future shows.

One of the top performances came from Kaif Young in men’s physique. He won the Open Men’s Physique Class D category and also came out on top in the Men’s Physique Masters (Over 35) category.

In Open Men’s Physique Class C, Jason Johnson finished second among five competitors, and in Open Men’s Physique Class A Paul Wilson settled for a second place finish. Wilson was also second in Men’s Classic Physique Class A and came out on top in the lightweight division in Men’s Bodybuilding.

Serena Decius-Norius, the wife of former three-time national champion Jimmy Norius, secured a first-place finish in Women’s Figure Masters (Over 35) and as second-place finish in Open Women’s Figure Class A.

Back in the sport after a brief hiatus, Dawn Charlton was superb, taking the Open Women’s Bikini Class E and the Women’s Bikini Masters (Over 35). Also in Open Women’s Bikini, Shakira Ferguson was third in Class C and also third in Women’s Bikini Masters (Over 35).

Sydney “Butts” Outten was second in Men’s Bodybuilding Masters (Over 40).

A total of nine pro cards were up for grabs, but all of the Bahamians fell short.

“My competition season has just started. I’m just going to go back in the trenches, continue to prepare and get ready to compete again to secure a pro card this year,” said Charlton. “I’m confident and very happy with my performance tonight. I felt like I was prepared and I brought a nice package to the stage. I feel good. I feel like the sky is the limit for me right now.”

Ferguson, now in her seventh year in bodybuilding and fitness, said she is also looking to get back on stage this year.

Bahamian Shakira Ferguson finished third in the Open Women’s Bikini Class C and in Women’s Bikini Masters (Over 35) at the IFBB Pro League World Caribbean Championships at Baha Mar over the weekend. Photos: AHVIA J. CAMPBELL

“Considering that this was my first NPC (National Physique Committee) show, I felt I did decent,” she said. “I didn’t know what to expect, but I did my research and tried to figure out what kind of posing I needed to bring to the stage. The posing here is different from IFBB Elite. I felt like I was able to bring my best package and do what I had to do. I have no regrets. I just know what to do now for the next show. It looks like they’re looking for more muscularity so I’ll just have to come a little harder for the next show.”

There was a split in the IFBB four years ago, forming two separate factions – the NPC/IFBB Pro League and the IFBB Elite, which continued to adhere to the values and standards of the original IFBB.

As for two-time overall bikini national champion Ferguson, she said she enjoys competing in the sport and representing her family and her country on the stage.

“I feel like my body has improved. I love being healthy and I love being strong and that’s what keep me going. I love competing and God has been good to me,” she said. “I went out there and gave it a shot and just came up short of my goal, but I’m definitely looking forward to the next show.”

Event promoter Tim Gardner, of the United States, said it was a joy bringing the event to the Baha Mar resort, and looks forward to returning, and is open to the idea of one of the shows finding a permanent home here in The Bahamas.

Tim Gardner Productions produces four of the top five IFBB Pro League pro-am shows for this region – of which the Tampa Pro Show in his hometown of Tampa, Florida, in early August – is the largest.

The post Bahamians fall short of earning pro cards appeared first on The Nassau Guardian.



source https://thenassauguardian.com/bahamians-fall-short-of-earning-pro-cards/

No comments:

Post a Comment