Caribbean Weather

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Ongoing help needed after the storm 

Dear Editor,

 I was depressed and fighting despair. How am I to not only take care of my two boys, but also fix my roof with no income?

No, this isn’t a COVID story, this is a Dorian one.

After the aftermath of the hurricane, many good-natured people and organizations came in and assisted, but that assistance soon left Abaco with the onset of the pandemic, which I can understand.

Your family, or wherever some of them were from, was suffering.

I must say a special thank you to the Disaster Reconstruction Authority (DRA), they stayed, even during the height of the pandemic.

I don’t have any family in Nassau to go to; and who will shelter me and my two boys?

I applied for several funding programs, but only got through with the small home program that the DRA has. They sent someone to do an assessment and then told me I would qualify for $7,500.

I was overjoyed. Could I have used more? Sure, but this was to try and get my roof sorted out and try to stretch it to get the windows sealed.

I was skeptical at first that this would fall through the cracks, but they had a list of approved people on Abaco who I could use and who could get the work done and they would pay for the material and labor.

In two weeks after applying, my house was sealed.

I am now looking for further assistance to help replace furniture and other essential items lost in the storm.

However, I can rest my head at night knowing that rain or light, weather won’t disrupt my youngest from sleeping at night anymore.

 

— Clair Armbrister,

Marsh Harbour, Abaco

The post Ongoing help needed after the storm  appeared first on The Nassau Guardian.



source https://thenassauguardian.com/2020/07/22/ongoing-help-needed-after-the-storm/

No comments:

Post a Comment